CENTER FOR WOMEN'S STUDIES
ETHIRAJ COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
THE CENTRE FOR WOMEN’S STUDIES (UGC Funded)
ETHIRAJ COLLEGE FOR WOMEN (AUTONOMOUS) CHENNAI-08.
ABOUT THE CENTRE
The Centre for Women’s studies of Ethiraj college for women was started in the year 2009 by Dr. Indhrani Sridharan (Former principal) and headed by Dr. Kadhambari (Associate Professor, Department of English) under the financial support of University Grands Commission. From 2016, the Centre is headed by Dr. R. Mallika, Head, Department of Tamil.
The Centre was established in order to achieve UN Sustainable Development Goal of Promoting Equality & Empowerment of Women. The Centre pursue a comprehensive, critical and balanced understanding of India’s socio-economic realities & governance.
The Centre offers a certificate course on Gender Studies for the UG students which includes qualitative and quantitative lectures given by highly professional and successful individuals from various fields. The Centre also publishes books on various gender related topics by the end of the academic year.
• Workshop on Menstrual Hygiene for Students on 18- 08- 2010 and 19-08-2010 • Workshop and Training on Sanitary Napkin production to Rural Women,
Orathapadu Village, Cholavaram Panchayat on 26-12-10 to 28-12-10
- International Colloquium on Women and Law in the New Millennium on 11-01- 2012
- Project Undertaken on Urban Poverty in India- A Case Study with Reference to the supporting staff of Ethiraj College 2011-2012
• Workshop on Sexual Assault and Sexual Cultures Organised along with Pengal Santhippu on 2-02-2013
• Southern Regional Workshop on Documenting Contributions of Women’s Movements, Women’s Organisation and Women in association with Association of Women’s Students (IAWS) and Departments/ Centres for Women’s Studies, University of Madras,18th-19th February, 2016
- During the academic year 2016-17, Dr. R. Mallika, Associate Professor, Department of Tamil, taking over as the Director of Centre for Women’s Studies.
- Guest Lecture on Cyber Crime- 24th August 2016
- A Special project “Samathuvathai nokki” was completed successfully.
- Workshop on Gender Budgeting on 10-02- 2017
- Guest Lecture on Entrepreneurship, January 2017
- A survey on Mensuration was taken in the college premise.2018-2019:
- The first students committee was formed. The committee includes the post of president, vice president, secretary and joint secretary.
- The student committee members for this academic year are Shivangi Mandal, Durga Dharshini and Niroshini of BA English Second year, Janani of TTM third year.
- On 14th July 2018, the audio book “Periyar indrum endrum” for the visually challenged people was launched.
- Women’s Forum on Gender, Law and Governance, Cyber Crime, specifically Hacking and on the scope for women in the Government of India on 18-08-2018.
- On 25th October 2018, the handloom awareness workshop was conducted. It also included exhibition of handloom products by weavers from various villages. A fashion walk with handloom sarees was also organised.
- The International Women’s day was celebrated in a grand manner on 7th March 2019. It also included an art exhibition which was inaugurated by tamil flim director Pa. Ranjith.
Fashion walk with handloom Sarees
International Women’s day celebration 2019
- A special lecture on “AIDS awareness” delivered by Ms. Noori Saleem was organised on 23rd July, 2019.
- The certificate course for the UG students commenced on 24th July 2019.
- In the month of August, An Interdepartmental poster designing competition was conducted to raise awareness on water conservation.
- The Independence Day celebration at Street vision NGO was organised on 16th August, 2019.
- The board members along with some members of the centre in association with the Thozhamai NGO, were taken to the Semmenchery housing board constructed by the TN slum clearance board, on 20th September, 2019.
- A special lecture on “Women in writings” delivered by Dr. Rajeswari bala, writer, Retd. Health worker, London, was organised on 30th September, 2019.
- The Gender Sensitisation Workshop for the faculties was organised on 23rd October, 2019.
- A Gender diversity workshop and Intercollegiate fest “PAAVAI – 2020” was organised on 7th January, 2020. A lecture on Gender diversity was delivered followed by various individual and team events.
- The International women’s day celebration was organised on 6th March, 2020 in association with the Rotary club of Chennai Bharathi and Radio city FM.
- The Student committee members for the academic year 2019-20 are:President – B. Sivaranjani, III B.Sc. Chemistry (Aided)
Vice- President – E. Iswariya, III B.A. English literature (Aided) Secretary – S. Priyadharshini, III B.Com. General (Aided) Joint-Secretary – K. Kiruthika, III B.A. Economics (Aided)AIDS awareness program by Ms. Noori Saleem
Certificate course program
Celebration with the children at street vision NGO
Gender Sensitisation Workshop
International Women’s day celebration 2020
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded]–Women’s Empowerment and Micro Financing (2012).
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded]– Personality development for Women: A Manual (2012)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded]– Texting and Using Apps- Mobile Phone and Repercussions. (2013)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded] and Pengal Santhippu: Sexual Assault definitions and
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded]– Family Culture and Consumption of Alcohol (March 2014)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Gender Studies, An Introduction (March 2014)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Feminist Research Methods (March 2015)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Opposite Gender Friendship (March 2015)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Role Models of Tamil Nadu (March 2015)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Impact of Socio – economic Status on Students’ Achievement (March 2016)
- Centre for Women’s Studies [UGC funded], Menstrual Hygiene and Socio – economic Status.
ETHIRAJ COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
70, Ethiraj Salai, Egmore,Chennai 600008, Tamilnadu, India
On smaller computer screens website is better viewed at 75% zoom